Sunday, April 5, 2009

Conference Comfort

Wasn't Conference terrific? Seems there is always a theme that stands out, and what stands out to one may not be so remarkable to another. It seemed to me that there was a consistent looking toward the temple. It hadn't occurred to me that the garners would be the temple where the saints would gather - I always just thought of the gathering place as the stakes of Zion.

It made me think of the many times I have been to the temple with our family. Over the years I'm sure I have treated the temple with less care than I should have. Just after Melanie and I were married, I worked construction with a fellow in Provo - the brother of one of Gary's college friends. This fellow told me his life went about as well as his temple attendance. That has always stuck with me, not that I followed his advice. How lucky we have always been to be near a temple and how little I have used them. Maybe now I will think less of making money, coaching teams, playing ball and being outdoors and more on strengthening my core beliefs.

Also, my mind was turned to the temlpes I have visited over the years. 1. Idaho Falls, which will always be my temple, 2. Provo, 3. SLC, 4. Bern, 5. London, 6. Ogden, 7. Logan, 8. Manti, 9. Oakland, 10. Jordan River, 11. St. George, 12. Boise, 13. Seattle, 14. Laie, 15. Kona, 16. Bountiful, 17. Draper, 18. Rexburg, 19. San Diego, 20. Houston, 21. Portland, 22. Lehi. I was at the Copenhagen temple long before it was a temple, but I guess that doesn't count. It was the original chapel in Copenhagen, next to the mission home before they changed its use to a temple, remodeled and dedicated it.

I feel badly about missing the Anchorage, Fargo, Denver, San Antonio, Medford and a couple others where I didn't have time to visit while in those towns. I hope to see more.

3 comments:

ljdoelling said...

Great insight. I also liked the temple comments. They last week, I have been showing a picture of the Manti Temple to Jed and trying to persuade him to buy it. It is expensive. So, after today's conference experience, we reflected on what messages we are sending our children. Jed has decided we should get a big, beautiful picture of the temple for our home.

Gibbons said...

I also noticed the theme of temples. David has gone a few times but I haven't been in over a year until just 2 weeks ago. I remembered when I was there why I love to go so much. It fwas difficult when I had to go back to work. Now that David is not working as much we don't feel so strained for time. We have committed to going more often.

Jill Walker said...

What is the Lehi temple? Do you mean the American Fork temple-- Mt. Timpanogas?

Thanks for sharing this.